Friday, September 26, 2008

Sweet potato and cannellini bean hummus


For me, one of the harder parts of veganism is in the sandwich department. How often can we eat hummus (well, actually, maybe every day would be fine for me)? How can we add some variety that will also appeal to more skeptical (usually omnivorous) friends and family? I am finding more and more recipes for spreads that appeal on every level.

The other day I made this dip from sweet potato and canned white beans. The recipe is from Vive le Vegan, a nice vegan cookbook with a special section on food for babies (as well as larger sections on breakfast and baked goods than I usually find in vegan cookbooks).

It has a slightly sweet taste, is good as a dip or a spread. It is very easy to make with a blender or food processor. It is going into my list of spreads I will make again.

In case you want to run out and get the ingredients before you get the cookbook, it contains cannellini beans, cooked yam, lemon or lime juice, garlic, olive oil, hot sauce, salt, pepper, toasted pine nuts, fresh cilantro (optional garnish).

2 comments:

Not Another Omnivore said...

if you're only KIND OF a sweet potato fan is this a good idea or should i stick with some of my other favorite flavors?

Judith Lautner said...

Good question, NAO. As I recall, the sweet potato flavor was not overwhelming. It was just a different flavor from traditional hummus - I felt it could go anywhere, if you know what I mean.